Help upgrading my 27 inch iMac from 2013

Since I’m not an authority on any of these, Could someone please advise me on how to improve the speed and functionality of this iMac? actually just use it for Word/Excel, photographs, and online browsing and emails.

Although it’s not a huge concern, it suddenly begun to slow down and won’t upgrade to newer versions of the Apple OS. Additionally, certain websites aren’t loading.

really don’t want to spend $1500 on a new one if we can use this one with decent performance and no hassle.

specifications in the attached photographs

Many thanks in advance, everyone.

First thing you can do is upgrade the memory. Try getting 16 or 32 GB. It’s not expensive, maybe $50-$100, and you can do it yourself. The fusion drive might be an issue, and you could replace it, though that’s a bit harder to do. I did it on my 2017 iMac, and it made a big difference. Your iMac is still good, and it’s worth upgrading to keep it running well.

@Riley
After that, you might want to check out opencore patcher. It could help.

@Riley
I just got 32GB of TimeTec RAM for under $40 on Amazon a few days ago.

You could buy an external 1-2 TB SSD and use that instead of your internal drive. TimeTec 32GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM is just $33.

Sidney said:
You could buy an external 1-2 TB SSD and use that instead of your internal drive. TimeTec 32GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM is just $33.

That iMac has Thunderbolt 1 or 2, so I’m not sure you can run an external SSD through that.

@Riley
You can run it off a USB-A port. I got a 2015 iMac and used an old Samsung EVO 860 SSD with USB-A, and it worked fine.

I just finished talking to Apple Support about my 32GB/1TB 27" Mac desktop that I bought in 2019. The tech told me it’s considered ‘vintage,’ meaning it won’t get any new software updates, and it doesn’t work with my iPhone now. They told me to connect my iPhone to another device, like a PC. Let me know if you figure out how to get new updates on these ‘vintage’ Macs.

@Frost
Check out this link: Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty - Apple Support

Your 2019 iMac isn’t officially ‘vintage’ yet, but that applies to the hardware. It should still get software updates with the latest macOS.

@Skyler
Apple Support said my Mac is from 2017, but I bought the latest model in 2019 for almost $4k. I’m just confused at this point.

Frost said:
@Skyler
Apple Support said my Mac is from 2017, but I bought the latest model in 2019 for almost $4k. I’m just confused at this point.

Just use OpenCore Legacy Patcher (OCLP) to get the latest macOS, and get yourself a good SSD. You’ll be fine.

@Skyler
Thanks! Do you have any recommendations?

Frost said:
@Skyler

OCLP is easy to install. Do you have a 1TB SSD or a regular hard drive?

Skyler said:

Frost said:
@Skyler

OCLP is easy to install. Do you have a 1TB SSD or a regular hard drive?

I honestly don’t know, haha.

@Frost
I tried ‘safe boot’ and now my computer is freezing up, almost like it has a virus.

Frost said:
@Frost
I tried ‘safe boot’ and now my computer is freezing up, almost like it has a virus.

Can you explain exactly what you did and what’s happening now?

Skyler said:

Frost said:
@Frost

Can you explain exactly what you did and what’s happening now?

My mouse kept changing its shape, and my computer started freezing up. Then it started logging me out. Apple Support told me to restart and press Command + Option + P + R, and it’s been better since. But the keyboard was acting weird yesterday.

@Frost
Sounds like it’s getting better, but keep an eye on it just in case it happens again.

I’m using a late 2015 iMac after spilling water on my laptop. Installing the OS on an SSD really improved the speed. Sadly, Apple stopped security updates for Monterey, the last OS my iMac can run. I’m thinking about installing Windows 10, but support for that ends next year. If your computer can’t get security updates, you might want to consider getting a new one. Also, browsers like Chrome require certain OS versions, so older ones might not work right.

Look up OpenCore Patcher. I’m running Sonoma on the same machine, and you can even upgrade to Sequoia. I just installed it on a 2011 iMac, and it’s working fine. OpenCore will help you out.