Why does my iPhone 13 camera continuously focus and unfocus?

I just updated to iOS 16, but now my camera acts weird. When I open the camera app or use the lockscreen shortcut, it keeps focusing and unfocusing on its own. This makes it hard to take videos or pictures sometimes. Strangely, I don’t have this problem when using Snapchat or BeReal. It seems like others aren’t having this issue.

1 Like

It appears that you’re experiencing an issue with your iPhone 13 camera continuously focusing and unfocusing after updating to iOS 16. While this problem can be frustrating, you’re not alone, and there are potential solutions to address it.

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the camera focus issue:

1. Restart Your iPhone:
  • Sometimes a simple restart can fix minor glitches. Turn off your iPhone and then turn it back on to see if the camera behavior improves.
  1. Force Close the Camera App:
  • Double-press the Home button (or swipe up from the bottom on iPhones without a Home button) to access the app switcher.
  • Swipe left or right to find the Camera app, then swipe it up or off the screen to force close it.
  • Open the Camera app again and check if the issue persists.
  1. Check for Software Updates:
  • Make sure you’re running the latest version of iOS. Apple frequently releases updates that address bugs and improve performance.
  • Go to Settings > General > Software Update to check for any available updates.
  1. Reset Camera Settings:
  • Resetting camera settings won’t delete your photos or videos but will restore camera settings to their defaults.
  • Go to Settings > Camera > Reset > Reset All Settings.
  1. Test Different Camera Modes:
  • Switch between different camera modes (such as Photo, Video, Portrait, etc.) to see if the issue occurs consistently across all modes.
  • If it’s specific to one mode, it might be related to software optimization for that mode.
  1. Test in Safe Mode:
  • Restart your iPhone in Safe Mode to check if any third-party apps are causing the issue.
  • To enter Safe Mode, restart your iPhone and hold the Volume Up button until the lock screen appears.
  • Test the camera behavior in Safe Mode.
  1. Contact Apple Support:
  • If none of the above steps resolve the issue, consider reaching out to Apple Support.
  • They can provide personalized assistance and guide you through additional troubleshooting steps.

Remember that software glitches can sometimes cause unexpected behavior, but Apple continually works to improve iOS stability. If the problem persists, don’t hesitate to seek professional support.

Hi Amanda…
It sounds like there might be a glitch with the iOS 16 update specifically affecting the native camera app on your device. Since it’s not happening with other camera apps, it could be a software issue rather than a hardware problem.

Have you tried restarting your phone or reinstalling the camera app to see if that resolves the issue? If not, you may want to reach out to Apple Support for further assistance. They can provide guidance on troubleshooting or potentially offer a solution for the problem.