What are the steps or methods one can use to locate and contact the owner of a lost iPhone?

After a conference meeting, while in the restroom, I found an iPhone left behind. How can I locate and return it to the rightful owner?

Returning a lost iPhone to its rightful owner is a thoughtful gesture. Here’s how you can locate and return it:

1. Check for Emergency Contacts: If the iPhone is unlocked, try accessing the “Emergency” feature on the lock screen. Some individuals add emergency contacts that can be reached even when the device is locked. Contact one of these numbers to inform them about the lost iPhone.
  2. Ask Around: If you’re still at the conference venue, ask nearby attendees if they know who the iPhone belongs to. They might have seen the owner looking for it or know who it belongs to.
  3. Check for Medical ID: Similar to the emergency contacts, the owner might have set up a Medical ID on their iPhone. This information can be accessed from the lock screen and might provide contact details for the owner.
  4. Use Siri: Activate Siri by holding down the Home button or saying “Hey Siri” if enabled. Ask Siri, “Whose phone is this?” or “Call Mom” to try to identify the owner or contact a family member.
  5. Check for Lost Mode: If the iPhone has been reported as lost, the owner might have activated Lost Mode using Find My iPhone. If the iPhone is connected to the internet, you can see a message on the lock screen with instructions on how to contact the owner.
  6. Contact Apple Support: If you’re unable to locate the owner using the above methods, you can contact Apple Support and provide them with the serial number or IMEI number of the iPhone. They may be able to assist in locating the owner.
  7. Drop it off at a Lost and Found: If you’re unable to locate the owner immediately, drop the iPhone off at the conference venue’s lost and found, if available. The owner may return to inquire about it later.

By taking these steps, you can hopefully locate the rightful owner of the lost iPhone and return it to them promptly.