Thinking about updating from 18.0 to 18.1 to avoid bricking issues

On the release day of iPadOS 18, I updated my iPad and phone right away. My iPad updated with no problems. Later that day, I started seeing posts from others having issues, and I felt lucky mine didn’t brick. Now I’m seeing more posts saying 18.0 has bricked some iPad Pro M4 devices a few days later. One person called it a ticking time bomb and that made me worried

Has anyone heard if iPadOS 18.1 has the same problems? I know it’s a beta, and betas are works in progress, so expecting no bugs is unrealistic. But has anyone had their iPad brick after going to 18.1? For those on iPadOS 18.1, how’s it been for you? I’m okay dealing with some bugs if it means I won’t have to worry about my iPad just dying on me

If 18.0 was installed successfully, I suggest waiting for the next public release. The 18.1 betas might have fixed some of the issues from 18.0, but remember, betas can still have bugs.

Will said:
If 18.0 was installed successfully, I suggest waiting for the next public release. The 18.1 betas might have fixed some of the issues from 18.0, but remember, betas can still have bugs.

I know betas aren’t finished software. I’m just worried about losing my iPad.

18.0.1 will be released soon to fix some bugs.

Luca said:
18.0.1 will be released soon to fix some bugs.

I’m a bit scared to leave it on 18.0 after hearing about others’ iPads that bricked days after updating.

@Xan
Thanks! I’m weighing my options—should I update and deal with bugs for a few weeks, or risk losing my iPad and have to drive a long way to replace it? I’m leaning towards updating early.

It’s still in beta and not officially released yet. The 18.0.1 update will come soon for bug fixes.