Is AirTag effective for tracking my cat?

Hey guys, I’ve been thinking about getting an AirTag to keep track of my cat when he’s outside. Do you think it’s a good idea for that? Will an AirTag work well for tracking him if he ever gets lost?

5 Likes

For about 1.5 years now, I’ve been using both an AirTag and Tractive to keep tabs on my cat’s whereabouts. Tractive uses GPS and can pinpoint my cat’s location, even if he’s far away in the neighborhood. Once I’m nearby, the AirTag comes in handy for finding him in tricky spots like bushes, showing me the direction and distance once I’m within 30-40 feet.

4 Likes

Compared to nothing, an AirTag is far superior. It does, however, have several shortcomings. Your app won’t be able to determine your cat’s location if they are out of range, to start. Probably for this reason, Apple advises against tracking pets using AirTag.

3 Likes

Sometimes back I found a lost cat with an AirTag collar. Turns out the battery for the AirTag was dead. Once I replaced it, the owner was at my door in no time. So, Yeah, The AirTag works, and it works well.

2 Likes

It’s not flawless. Taking into account that it needs someone nearby who has an iPhone. But go ahead and get it; it’s much better than nothing at all.

1 Like

My indoor cat has been sneaking out a couple times, so I ordered an AirTag. Since I only purchased it for peace of mind, I am unable to comment on their monitoring capabilities. She doesn’t dislike at all when I use this tiny collar holder.