iMac 14.1 I need some help

My girlfriend and I got an iMac 14 with a mouse and keyboard for £90, but it isn’t the great deal we thought it would be. It runs Mac OS 10.9.5, so I can’t download anything for her. Safari is outdated, and it can’t open Gmail or YouTube, making it pretty much useless. She loves how it looks. How can I fix this? I tried downloading OpenCore Patcher, but when I used a memory stick to extract it, I got an error saying no such file or directory.

Also, when I try to access an Apple website to download Sierra or any other update, Safari says it can’t open the page.

You should start by updating it to Catalina. That should work fine for email and browsing. You might want to connect an external SSD if it doesn’t have an internal one. An external SSD will make it run much faster than an internal hard drive.

Harlan said:
You should start by updating it to Catalina. That should work fine for email and browsing. You might want to connect an external SSD if it doesn’t have an internal one. An external SSD will make it run much faster than an internal hard drive.

What is Catalina, and is the SSD slot on the back?

Check out some YouTube videos by Mr. Macintosh on how to upgrade to OCLP and modern macOS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGR2qGw9lG8&t=12s

Teo said:
Check out some YouTube videos by Mr. Macintosh on how to upgrade to OCLP and modern macOS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGR2qGw9lG8&t=12s

I have watched some, but it keeps saying I’m not connected to the internet when I go to newer websites, so I can’t download Sonoma.

Have you checked the software update in system settings? Mac OS 10.9 is really old, and most websites won’t work with that version of Safari. The software update should download directly from Apple’s servers. Your computer can run Catalina (10.15) natively, which is a much newer system. I think they were still updating it in 2022.

I suggest getting Catalina running before trying more complicated fixes like SSDs and OpenCore Legacy Patcher. Your first step should be to get a more modern OS on there.

Gale said:
Have you checked the software update in system settings? Mac OS 10.9 is really old, and most websites won’t work with that version of Safari. The software update should download directly from Apple’s servers. Your computer can run Catalina (10.15) natively, which is a much newer system. I think they were still updating it in 2022.

I suggest getting Catalina running before trying more complicated fixes like SSDs and OpenCore Legacy Patcher. Your first step should be to get a more modern OS on there.

Is that in system preferences?

Rio said:

Gale said:

Yes, that’s right.

Gale said:

Rio said:
Gale said:

Yes, that’s right.

There isn’t an option for software update.

Rio said:

Gale said:
Rio said:
Gale said:

Yes, that’s right.

Another way is to boot your Mac in recovery mode. After it starts, press and hold Option-Command-R. You should see a spinning globe. Your Mac should connect to the internet and download the latest compatible version of macOS.

Here are the steps from the Apple support website:

Start up your Intel-based Mac in macOS Recovery

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu > Restart.
  2. Immediately press and hold one of the following key combinations until you see the startup screen:
    • Command-R: Start up from the built-in macOS Recovery System. This will reinstall the latest macOS installed on your system or let you use other apps in macOS Recovery.
    • Option-Command-R: Start up from macOS Recovery over the internet. This will reinstall macOS and upgrade to the latest version that’s compatible with your Mac.
    • Option-Shift-Command-R: Start up from macOS Recovery over the internet. This will reinstall the version of macOS that came with your Mac or the closest version that’s still available.
  3. If you see a lock, enter your Mac’s password.
  4. If you have multiple volumes on your disk, choose the one you want to recover, then click Next.
  5. If asked, choose an admin account, click Next, enter the account password, then click Continue. When the Recovery app shows up in the menu bar, you can select any available option in the window or menu bar.

Gale said:

Rio said:
Gale said:
Rio said:
Gale said:

Yes, that’s right.

Another way is to boot your Mac in recovery mode. After it starts, press and hold Option-Command-R. You should see a spinning globe. Your Mac should connect to the internet and download the latest compatible version of macOS.

2. Immediately press and hold one of the following key combinations until you see the startup screen:
    • Command-R: Start up from the built-in macOS Recovery System. This will reinstall the latest macOS installed on your system or let you use other apps in macOS Recovery.
    • Option-Command-R: Start up from macOS Recovery over the internet. This will reinstall macOS and upgrade to the latest version that’s compatible with your Mac.
    • Option-Shift-Command-R: Start up from macOS Recovery over the internet. This will reinstall the version of macOS that came with your Mac or the closest version that’s still available.
  4. If you have multiple volumes on your disk, choose the one you want to recover, then click Next.
  5. If asked, choose an admin account, click Next, enter the account password, then click Continue. When the Recovery app shows up in the menu bar, you can select any available option in the window or menu bar.

I got into recovery mode, and it shows OS X utilities.

Gale said:

Rio said:
Gale said:
Rio said:
Gale said:

Yes, that’s right.

Wait, I didn’t realize you said to hold Option too. It’s just loading now.

Rio said:

Gale said:
Rio said:
Gale said:
Rio said:
Gale said:

Yes, that’s right.

Great! Fingers crossed it works.

Gale said:

Rio said:
Gale said:
Rio said:
Gale said:
Rio said:
Gale said:

Yes, that’s right.

No, the earth symbol spun for a while and had a countdown, but now it’s back to normal, and nothing has changed.

Rio said:

Gale said:
Rio said:
Gale said:
Rio said:
Gale said:
Rio said:
Gale said:

Yes, that’s right.

No, the earth symbol spun for a while and had a countdown, but now it’s back to normal, and nothing has changed.

I’m not sure what happened. It should have booted to OS X utilities and given you an option to install OS X. Did it connect to the internet? Did you hold Option-Shift-Command-R?