How do you change video playback settings on iPhone?

I recently upgraded from iOS 16.7 to 17.0.3 and noticed a change in video navigation. In iOS 16, I could rewind or forward a video by swiping left or right on the screen, but now in iOS 17, I can only navigate using the bar at the bottom. Swiping just moves the video frame by frame. How can I revert to the old method?

Thank you in advance

Unfortunately, iOS 17 no longer supports the previous video navigation method where you could swipe left or right to rewind or fast-forward. Apple has replaced this feature with an on-screen playback bar for controlling video playback.

While you can’t revert to the old method, here are some tips to help you adapt to the new system:

• Double-Tap for Seeking: You can still double-tap on the left or right side of the screen to seek forward or backward, though it jumps in larger increments compared to swiping.
  • Precision Scrubbing: To scrub more precisely through the video, drag your finger along the progress bar located at the bottom of the screen.

Additionally, here are some pointers for navigating videos in iOS 17:

• Use Playback Controls: Utilize the on-screen playback bar which includes controls for play/pause, short press for rewind, long press for fast-forward, and a progress bar for precise navigation.
  • Explore Third-Party Apps: Consider exploring third-party video apps that may offer different gesture controls for playback. Ensure you download apps only from trusted sources like the App Store to maintain security.

Unfortunately, in iOS 17, Apple removed the swipe gesture for fast-forwarding and rewinding videos, and this change appears to be deliberate. Currently, there is no option within the core iOS settings to revert to the previous method.

Alternatives you can consider in the meantime:

Use the Progress Bar: Although not as intuitive as swiping, you can still navigate through the video by using the progress bar located at the bottom. Simply drag the slider left or right to rewind or fast-forward to the desired point.

Double-Tap to Seek: Many video players in iOS 17 support a double-tap feature. Double-tap on the right side of the screen to fast-forward and on the left side to rewind. This method can be quicker than using the progress bar.

Third-Party Video Apps: Some third-party video apps may still retain the swipe gesture for navigation.
Explore apps like VLC Media Player or KMPlayer to see if they offer the functionality you prefer.

These workarounds can help you continue navigating through videos on iOS 17 until any changes or updates are made by Apple.