A2p calling- Last night, I received a voicemail that was the audio of the show I was currently watching

Something strange happened to me last night. I was watching an episode of Picard when my phone rang around midnight. The caller ID showed an unknown number with a 646 area code, so I let it go to voicemail. When I checked my voicemail, the audio was from the Picard episode I was watching. The caller ID showed “A2P CALLING.” Can anyone explain what happened?

2 Likes

That is an intriguing experience! “A2P” stands for “Application-to-Person,” referring to automated messages sent from apps or services to users. However, getting a voicemail with audio from the show you were watching is quite unusual. Here are a few possibilities:

Technical Glitch

• There might have been a technical glitch or cross-wiring in the phone system. Sometimes, voicemails can get mixed up due to network issues.
  • Check if anyone else received a similar voicemail. If not, it might be specific to your phone or carrier.

Prank or Experiment

• Someone might have intentionally sent you the audio as a prank or experiment.
  • Think about whether you’ve shared your phone number online recently or if you’re part of any online communities where this could happen.

Alternate Reality or Sci-Fi Twist

• Since you were watching “Picard,” let’s entertain a fun idea: Maybe you accidentally tapped into an alternate reality or received a transmission from a parallel universe!
  • Jokes aside, this is highly unlikely, but it’s a fascinating thought.

Coincidence

• Sometimes coincidences happen, and this could be one of them.
  • Keep an eye out for any similar occurrences in the future.
1 Like

Any message traffic in which a recipient receives messages from an application rather than a real person and is not anticipating a response is referred to as application-to-person messaging, or A2P messaging. Marketing communications, appointment reminders, chatbots, notifications, and one-time passwords (OTPs) or PIN codes are examples of A2P messages, but they are not the only ones.

According to their stringent interpretation of A2P, carriers in the US and Canada classify as A2P any messaging that travels via Twilio or other messaging application platforms.