Why won't my iPhone 15 turn off?

Hey! I recently switched from an iPhone 11 to the 15 Plus, and I noticed something weird. When I’m on a call, the phone won’t lock or “turn off” like it used to. Is this supposed to happen, or should I contact Apple about it? When I press the power button, nothing happens.

It sounds like your iPhone 15 Plus might have a feature called “Attention Aware” enabled. This feature prevents the screen from turning off while you’re on a call if your device detects that you’re still looking at it. It’s designed to prevent accidental screen touches during calls.

You can check if this feature is enabled by going to Settings > Accessibility > Face ID & Attention, and then toggle off “Attention Aware Features.” If the issue persists after disabling this feature, it might be worth contacting Apple support for further assistance.

This is not typical behavior, as the screen should turn off to prevent accidental touches when the phone is held to your ear, thanks to the proximity sensor.

Here are a few steps you can try to resolve the issue:

Clean the Proximity Sensor: Ensure that the area near the top speaker (where the proximity sensor is located) is clean and not covered by a screen protector or case.
Restart Your iPhone: Sometimes, a simple restart can fix temporary glitches. To restart, press and release the volume up button, then the volume down button, and finally, hold the side button until the Apple logo appears.
Check for Software Updates: Go to Settings > General > Software Update to see if there’s an update available for your iPhone.
Reset All Settings: This won’t erase your data but will reset system settings to their defaults. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings.
If these steps don’t work, it could be a hardware issue with the proximity sensor, and you may need to contact Apple Support or visit an Apple Store for further assistance.

Hi Amanda… It sounds like a feature rather than an issue. The iPhone 15 Plus likely has a setting that prevents the screen from locking while on a call to allow easy access to features like the keypad or speakerphone. You can usually end the call or lock the screen after the call by tapping the screen or using the power button. However, if you’re concerned, it wouldn’t hurt to reach out to Apple Support for clarification.

If your iPhone 15 isn’t responding to the standard power-down procedure, it could be due to a glitch or an issue with the power button alignment.

Are you struggling to turn off your iPhone 15 completely? The screen might still be glowing. The culprit could be the “Always On” display. Try disabling it for a full shut down.