Trying to decide on the best MacBook to buy

Pax said:
Hi
My wife works as a UI/UX designer and we want to get her a MacBook but we’re unsure if the Air will be enough with the M3 and 16GB.

She mainly uses Photoshop, Illustrator, Figma, and has several Chrome tabs open.

Do you think the Air will be enough or will it struggle a bit?
And will the Pro be noticeably faster?

Thank you

A bigger concern is the screen size and how much storage you’ll need.

Pax said:
Hi
My wife works as a UI/UX designer and we want to get her a MacBook but we’re unsure if the Air will be enough with the M3 and 16GB.

She mainly uses Photoshop, Illustrator, Figma, and has several Chrome tabs open.

Thank you

An M1 Pro with 16GB is better than the new Air if you can find a refurbished. I got one for the same price as the Air. It’s a no-brainer. I got the 14in.

Pax said:
Hi

Thank you

Don’t listen to the critics here.

• I’d go for a MacBook Pro 16" M3MAX with at least 48GB.

Jesse said:

Pax said:
Hi

Thank you

Just curious, why 48GB max?

Jesse said:

Pax said:
Hi

Thank you

That’s way too much for Figma or most graphic/UI design tools.

Remington said:

Jesse said:
Pax said:
Hi

Thank you

I thought it was a joke too. Hopefully, it is, lol.

Remington said:

Jesse said:
Pax said:
Hi

Thank you

If you don’t have at least 48GB, AI might take your job.

Pax said:
Hi

Thank you

The Air will last 3 years, while the Pro will last for 10. Buy the Air only if you really can’t afford the Pro.

Stevie said:

Pax said:
Hi

Thank you

The Air will last 3 years, while the Pro will last for 10. Buy the Air only if you really can’t afford the Pro.

Why would the Air only last 3 years?

Hadi said:

Stevie said:
Pax said:
Hi

Thank you

Apple will make it so… it’s called the Apple Law.

Stevie said:

Hadi said:
Stevie said:
Pax said:
Hi

Thank you

What are you talking about? Are you just messing around?

Hadi said:

Stevie said:
Hadi said:
Stevie said:
Pax said:
Hi

Thank you

Apple pushes all machine owners to buy new models. I’ve bought many Pros and Airs. You’ll find that Airs become unusable after a few years. The OS and Adobe updates will make that happen. Just saying.

Stevie said:

Hadi said:
Stevie said:
Hadi said:
Stevie said:
Pax said:
Hi

Thank you

Apple pushes all machine owners to buy new models. I’ve bought many Pros and Airs. You’ll find that Airs become unusable after a few years. The OS and Adobe updates will make that happen. Just saying.

Airs from 5 years ago still receive support, so that statement is incorrect.

Hadi said:

Stevie said:
Hadi said:
Stevie said:
Hadi said:
Stevie said:
Pax said:
Hi

Thank you

Supported and usable for professionals are two different things.

Hadi said:

Stevie said:
Hadi said:
Stevie said:
Hadi said:
Stevie said:
Pax said:
Hi

Thank you

Hang on… not so fast…

Stevie said:

Hadi said:
Stevie said:
Hadi said:
Stevie said:
Pax said:
Hi

Thank you

I’m reading this on my 2015 MacBook Air :flushed: